As we say goodbye to summers warm hazy nights and refined garden lunches, which consist of sipping a cool glass of something sparkly (well they do in my case), we say hello to one of the prettiest seasons of them all, autumn, and in the words of Winnie the Pooh “A time of hot chocolatey mornings, and toasty marshmallow evenings, and, best of all, leaping into leaves!” – Hey, you’re never too old!
Each season brings with it a particular essence that deserves to be celebrated, both at home and in business. Before we delve into seasonal branding for Autumn, I would recommend you read my introduction post to the Seasonal Stories series ‘The Importance of Seasonal Branding’. It explains what seasonal branding is, why it’s important to create seasonal content, and how to approach it without losing sight of your brand’s identity and what it stands for.
1. Capture Autumn’s Personality
When a new season turns we see the world in a different light and so do our audience. The heart and soul of autumn has a strong sense of maturity, a connection to nature and deep authenticity. This is where knowing your brand’s core personality lies. Like I mentioned in the introduction post it’s worth have a popular character in mind that you think your brand is similar to, how would they celebrate autumn? For example, Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s would dress and respond to the season differently compared to Beyonce, both strong personal brands in their own right.
2. Autumn Hues
Burnt warm earthy colours are associated with autumn. Think rich mocha browns, beiges, and warm blues and greens. Below I have provided examples of the different palettes that you can use to theme your content with (and yes you can have warm blues and greens).
I take a lot of my inspiration for these colour palettes from comforting textures I associate with the season, such as organic wooly cardigans, leather gloves, cozy blankets, and log fires.
3. Autumn Photography for Beautiful Content
When it comes to evoking a sense of autumn, beautiful photography is a must!
Autumn images should consist of warm earthy hues that add depth to your brand. Here are some ideas to play around with to visualise autumn in your content:
- Cozy textures
- Scenes of warmth and comfort – Find props to add that are associated with autumn such as fairy lights, chestnuts blankets and candles.
- Outdoor/woodland landscapes that capture the seasons magic
- Play with warm filters
- Leaf filled paths and roads – A wonderful visual to support an insightful quote.
4. Ideas to celebrate in Autumn
The obvious one being Halloween here is a list of notable days that are worthy of celebrating in your own unique way and build excitement and awareness around your brand and keep ahead of trending topics.
- Halloween (31st Oct) – Such a great way to have so much fun with your branding and build awareness about your brand. It will also do wonders for your SEO if you theme your content on what’s trending on the lead up to this festival.
- Autumn Rituals – Does your business’s routines change with the seasons? Does it mean you grab a warm pumpkin spiced latte for everyone before you get to the office? Paint the walls or dress your shop window? Does where you do business change? Share BTS (behind the scenes events with your audience to make them feel apart of the story. If you’re a personal brand share your long woodland walks with the dog or cozying up on the sofa to watch an old movie.
- Bon Fire Night – 5th Nov (For those living in the UK) – Who doesn’t love a good bonfire! Like Halloween, have fun with it, create a challenge, launch a mid-night sale or simply share a quote from Guy Fawkes himself.
5. Words that captivate, to use in your content
Tone of voice places a key role in communicating your message and capturing the essence of your brand and autumn. Here are some keywords to make people feel warm and fuzzy inside and excite the magic of autumn.
6. Above all tell a story
In a nutshell, branding is storytelling and magic. It’s about painting a picture of your world and captivating your audience to feel a part of something unique. Have fun with autumn, it truly is one of the most beautiful seasons.
Seasonal Stories – Autumn Sounds. – To also capture the joy and tranquility of autumn I have created a playlist of slow sounds on Spotify to help you take a calm and considered approach while designing content for autumn and find entrepreneurial bliss. – Click the image to Listen to the playlist now.
Get articles like this one straight to your inbox (+freebies) to help you capture the true essence of what your brand stands for